Friday, April 23, 2010

Heat 10 Rocks - 48 hours 2010

Up front I must confess we had an entry in Heat 10 of the Auckland competition of 48 Hours. I'm not going to include it in this review. It was cool. I helped write it. Enough said.

The "V 48 Hours" film making competition has become something of an institution in NZ film circles, with all sorts from professionals to school children having a go. This is the sixth year I've been involved. My involvement mostly involves late night Friday night trying to write a script that makes sense, conforms to the limitations of our resources, and includes all the required elements - up to 7 minutes long, a line, a character with a certain characteristic, a prop and a genre. There's also a required shot, but I leave that to the actual filmies - I haven't a clue what a dolly shot is.

This year Heat 10 (our usual heat) seemed better than usual. I liked all the movies. The couple I didn't really "get" were technically accomplished. Some of the usual teams were not present (in another heat?) - including some teams I recall being caught in a stylistic/theme rut. A risk of entering year after year - under pressure the same ideas tend to be rehashed.

One team had a character dressed as a steak - another danger of 48 hours - "we have a really cool costume and we're going to use it whatever!". In this case it kind of enhanced the skewed world of the film. One team had a major technical problem - their whimsical little tale of ghosts haunting a park was still cute and entertaining. Major technical problems are a major problem in 48 hours - the only thing worse is a major team walk out - there are many tales of those as well.

Standouts for me were the two movies made by teenagers. The first, from team "Non Chalant", was a mock reality doco about teen romance where three young people were interviewed about their relationships and then the film crew caught their delusions on tape. For me one of the best performances of the night was Maddie Peters as the third teen who was more seriously deluded than the rest. The second teenage movie was "Another Bloody Romance Movie", made by a team from Diocesan College, who cashed in on their notoriety by crediting themselves as "those bloody Dio girls". They made a classic rom com, complete with final scene at a wedding chapel - with BLOOD. The opening scene was one of the most impressive gore fests I've ever seen on screen.

All in all a good night. Can't wait for the finals.

0 comments: